Saturday, December 18, 2010

The way we were...

As most of you probably know, mine and Walker's story started many years ago in the hallways and classrooms of Trinity. In the spirit of writing down it down before the details fade, I thought I'd share these gems...

The following are from our 5th grade year (1995)...
(my 11th birthday party at Pizza Hut - notice the LL Bean pullover and spoon ring, both classics in the day)

Each 5th grader created a "time capsule", in which we wrote a letter to our "senior self", as well as notes to our classmates, photos, memories, etc., all of which were put in a shoebox, sealed, and opened at the end of our senior year before graduation.

I will first privy you to my own embarrassing literary genius... (black boxes to protect the privacy of those who did not consent to this).
Interesting how accurate the musings of a 10 year old can be...

Also contained in time capsule was the following written on a notecard, folded and stapled shut...
For those that can't read his then (and still now) terrible handwriting, it says "Dear Emily, Your eyes, your lips, your nose, your hair, their all so beautiful. When I look at you I think I'll die of such beauty."

This is the one and only time he has ever complimented me on the beauty of my nose. Walker was mortified when he saw this at our "Time Capsule party", and made me promise not to show anyone. I technically do not have his consent to share this, but I'm going to assume that 7 years later that promise has expired and he won't mind my sharing with the blog world...

The first "I love you" came on the back of his school picture that same year. Who can resist a 5th grade boy who turns his "o" into a heart? Such a charmer.

I'm still in the process of getting all of our old photos gathered together and in digital format, but here is a smattering of what I've found so far for your enjoyment and laughter...
Hope everyone is having a wonderful countdown to Christmas!

11 comments:

Sugar Belles said...

hilarious! hilarious! We can not stop laughing!

Elizabeth and David said...

My favorite post ever!! Love it. David and I go way back...but not that far! David is still laughing out loud reading Walker's beautiful love note! I need to dig out some of our old things and remind Mr. Johnson how sweet he once was too. Thanks for sharing. Something special about sharing so much of life's journey with one person. Love you guys!

-Elizabeth

David said...

David here,

I think I busted a gut laughing so hard. I must say I am guilty myself of some sappy love notes. I think with that note I would have even gone out with Walker. So jealous

Lele said...

I died laughing!!! I hope Walker liked all our love note text messages last night! :)

Erin W said...

OH MY GOSH I LOVE THIS!! Ahhhh, so precious. Thanks for sharing. I had NO IDEA y'all were an item since 5th grade basically. Talk about soul mates.

Sarah said...

This is fantastic- I am laughing out loud in my office. My favorite line "...this FINE boy named Walker..." LOVE IT! Y'all are so awesome and I'm glad the love has lasted!

Milla said...

Emily... Krisan just sent me this post and I am DYING!!! So, so funny! I can't believe you actually have these precious things. How priceless!!!

Amanda said...

Emily, this is just so funny. It is so neat to have this history together. What a blessing! Loved the notes haha!

Amy Hogan said...

This is fantastic! My Carson who is in 5th grade currently, is totally wigged out that one of the "fine" girls in his class could very well be "the one" :) What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing with all of us!

Ashlyn Stallings said...

made my day. so, so funny!

Krisan said...

can't believe i haven't commented yet... i love this! a little scary how accurate your fifth grade predictions were! love you friend. hope ya'll have a wonderful Christmas with your family!